Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Writer in Denial is a Happy Writer

There is no such thing as writer’s block. Nothing is stopping you from writing. A writer simply writes. Or a writer writes simply. Or simply a writer … oh, nevermind. Point is you shouldn’t write only when you think you have something to say. You’ll discover things to say while writing. At least that’s what I’m telling myself as I write this.  

When I first began writing (which was last Tuesday morning), I often found myself staring at a blank screen. Ideas in my head like whether it was time to shower, why I haven’t trimmed my toenails since last Valentine’s, and where I put my cell phone nagged me. True. But I also had story ideas. My problem was that blank screen. It was my enemy. I had to attack it with some great and memorable lines.

Once I realized this was silly and that I’d never get anything written if I was waiting for the Famous Quote Fairy to knock me over the head, I began with a simple keystroke – a period. More like a dot really since it didn’t follow a word. But soon that dot turned into an ellipses and this ellipses took shape to form what looked like a perforated line. Just don’t email that to anyone. A friend thought I’d had an aneurism and called me in a panic. Not recommended.

But when I sat down to write today, all I knew was that I wanted to assure people that the writing pool is safe, that the water is fine, that they should step in, get themselves wet. Pee if you want to. No one will know unless you say some … ah, that felt good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Learning a New Language Improves One’s Life, and other Trivia

Some things are inexplicable. For example, my desire to teach myself a second language at age fifty-two. And what, pray tell, was that secon...